[oletrucks] FS '49 Chevy Wrecker - Lower Price - Anybody Interested?

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] FS '49 Chevy Wrecker - Lower Price - Anybody Interested?
From: "Kevin and Deana Brown" <mgtrautoxr@myturbonet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:05:06 -0500
Below is an email I sent out about a month ago.  Since I still have the truck
I though I would take one more stab at it before going to more formal
methodes.  I'll take $1,500 for it if somebody on the list wants to buy it.  I
started it up yesterday, to move it out of the way of our trailer, and it
fired right up even though it hadn't been moved since last May.  This is a
good solid truck that needs more attention than I can give it.

Kevin

All,

Since I haven't been using it much aany more nd I no longer have room to store
it inside I've decided to sell my '49 Chevy wrecker.

The wrecker is a conventional cab 3600 deluxe 5-window cab with the stainless
trim around the windshield and side windows, a chrome grill (that has been
painted over) and a chrome hood ornament.  It has a wrecker bed in the back
with a manufactured boom that looks like it was originally set up for a hand
cranked winch before being converted over to a Warn worm drive winch.  The
winch is driven, via chain drive, off of a pto on the back of the
transmission.  The pto (which is controlled by a push-pull knob on the dash is
bi-directional so it has power in or power out or you can declutch the winch
and pull it out by hand.  I've hauled a early 50s 2 ton GMC truck around with
it and it picks it up with no problem.  Even though the truck is a 3/4 ton it
has overload springs on it so it handled the weight of the GMC easily.

The truck starts and runs great, the transmission (4-speed on the floor with
granny low), clutch and steering seem to work well also.  The brakes don't
hold pressure real long so it isn't road worthy - I've just used it to move
vehicles (and pull down trees) around our place.  The engine appears to be a
mid 50s 261 with a 235 head.  I haven't done much to it but even after sitting
for 6 months it fired right up the other day.  The truck also has an electric
chrome siren mounted behind the grill that works great - it used to have a
flashing light on top but somebody has removed it.

The truck also has later style 16 inch load range E tires on the back (which
handle the weight well when towing plus are a larger diameter which will help
gear it up for the highway.  The original 15-inch split rim 8 lug wheels are
in the front but I have some later none split rim wheels and tires that go
with it.

Here should be a link to some pictures of it (the link is long so if your
email splits it make sure and copy and paste the whole thing to your browser:

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/hzl6cm/1949%20Chevy%20Wrecker%20for%20
Sale/

 The floor has rust in it but the rest of the body is pretty solid with just a
little rust in the cab corners.  I think the only piece of glass that is
cracked is the back window.  Somebody else converted the truck to 12 volts
though not everything is hooked up - it does start well though and they've
installed an alternator that does charge the battery.  The engine doesn't
smoke much and maintains good oil pressure.  I have a clean Missouri title in
my name to it.  The only reason I am selling it is because I have too many
projects and not enough time to do them and I don't have room to keep it
inside any more.  I have it sitting at the end of my driveway with an $1800
price tag on it but I would take $1,600 for it.  I am located in Odessa, MO
which is just east of Kansas City.  Take care.

Kevin