[oletrucks] original column with power steering

To: Bill.Hanlon@hp.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] original column with power steering
From: mark <ccpanel@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:26:39 -0700 (PDT)
bey bill-i did that on my 51 panel. i did for looks so unless you
lifted the hood you wouldnt know what i was driving..

what i did was sawzall the column as low as i could go. just the tube.
then i pulled the steering shaft out and figure out where i wanted the
length.
im a very tall guy so my seat was moved a LONG WAY BACK(when i lean
back into the bench seat-you cant see me in the side window. =)
so i pulled my comlumn 2" farther out. then ifgiured where i wanted it.
bolted it in, then had my (camaro subframe) where it was gonna
be-figure out where to cut teh colum,
cut the tubing about 2-4" short of the firewall with 2-4" steering
shaft sticking out. i went to BEARING/BELT/CHAIN gave them ID tube, OD
shaft and got a bushing to fit the end of the tube.
for mounting tube to firewall-i made the mistake of makign a plate and
welding it inside the cab. it looks better and is hidden BUT.... if
youre in a wreck-steering wheel in teh face.
i would want it on the firewall side-at least the firewall would slow
it down a little.

for the shaft-shaft i welded up the shaft and then ground to DD shape.
i wouldnt do that. i would goto;
http://www.borgeson.com/
and get the right adapter and unijoint.. etc...
i used teh stock ragjoint off a camaro... but its okay.
if youre concerned with noise coming up through shaft they have a new
vib damp unit with rubber captured in teh unit.

if you want pics i can post. but i would do things differently namely;
tube plate on firewall side
http://www.borgeson.com/ ujoint with vib damp and correct adapters

mark

write your congressman.