[oletrucks] Busted head bolt removal

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Busted head bolt removal
From: "tim lloyd" <tim.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:25:29 -0700
Hiya folks,
I've just about gotten my '54 Chevy pickup back up and running, but
I've gone and busted off one of my head bolts in the engine block.
Without getting into the details of how I did it (dumb mistake), does
anyone have any advice on how to remove the bolt?  There's about an
inch of bolt stuck way down in the block, and I want to see if I can
get it out without having to take the head back off.

Here's my plan so far:
-Use a left-handed drill bit (with a nice long extension) to grab a
hold of the broken bolt and pull it out.
-Get a long, thin extension for my Shop-Vac and use it plus some WD-40
to slurp out the metal shavings I created with the drill bit.

I also have a couple of taps and eazy-outs, but they're all too short
to use without removing the head.

Thanks!

--
tim lloyd