[oletrucks] Re: 1956 Chevy Pickup possible modification

To: got2know_soon@yahoo.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 1956 Chevy Pickup possible modification
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:57:47 -0600
Bob:
To answer your question in the message below, I don't have any personal
experience with doing what is commonly called a "Front Clip" (removing the
front suspension from another vehicle and grafting into your existing
frame).  I'll agree that there are a lot of people out there doing this
versus buying an independant front suspension (IFS) from companies like
Heidts, Total Cost Involved, or Kugel.  I'm sure there must be some tech
articles or chat rooms on the classic truck web sites that either have
articles or people willing to share their experiences, but I can't think of
any that I can easy recommend to you.  I've always been a bit leery of doing
this or buying a vehicle with a 'home-made' front clip although if done
right, they can be just a good as any aftermarket front suspension.

I'm going to copy the oletrucks mailing list I subscribe to, and I know
there are some list members out there that would be more than happy to offer
advice.  Maybe they'll see this message and email you.

>From what I've read over the years, here are some things to consider:
1.)  Know the condition of the clip you're planning to use.  Has the donor
vehicle been wrecked?  What the condition of the ball joints, brakes, A-arm
bushings, springs, shocks and etc.?

2.) Adapting your current steering column and linkage to the front clip
steering box may raise some issues.

3.) Will the donor clip be able to support the weight of the engine, front
sheet metal?

4.) How do the donor clip frame rails line-up to your existing frame?  Will
there be a lot of fabrication to make a solid and safe transition from frame
to front suspension?

5.) If you do it yourself, are you knowledgable enough to make the necessary
measurements, check the existing frame for square and level, and know how to
fabricate and build/weld the right gussets (connections) to assure the front
clip 'tracks' well with the rest of the suspension.

6.) If you have a shop do the work, what past experience have they had doing
front clips?  Will they give you several customers to talk to to measure how
well their workmanship was?

7.) With a front clip, you lose all the original mounting locations for the
radiator, fenders, and grill.  Are you prepared to spend the time to
measure, fabricate and install the front sheet metal?

I'm sure this list is by no means complete, but will give you some things to
mull-over while making your decision.

I hope this has helped, good luck with whatever decision you make.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL

>Hi Carl,
>   Thanks again for being there to answer questions. I am considering
>buying a 1998 Formula Firebird with an LT1 engine and 6 speed trans for the
>powertrain for my truck. It is a complete car and I would also be able to
>use the rear end. My question is: Do you have any advice or articles on
>what it would take to use the front end assembly from the car and modify it
>to fit the truck. I see cars all the time that say they have a Camaro front
>chassis but I do not know how they modify it to fit and what is involved.
>Can you help or point me in the right direction?
>   Thanks
>   Bob

friends module.