Re: [Oletrucks] 261 vs 292

To: kremerrak@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 261 vs 292
From: Robert Baird <bairdr54@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:08:08 -0600
The 261 is just like a 235 its hard to tell them apart. The 250 or 292
are a more modern style of engine they will use some parts of the small
block V8  it is more of a universal engine then the 261 the 261 is very
hard to find. The 250 or 292 are of the same style they are not a direct
replacement for the 235, 261 you will have to use a 55 V8 Bell housing
the 235 ,261 bell housing will not work on the 250 or 292 type fly
wheels will not interchange. How ever the newer transmission will work
with these blocks that is the 250 or 292 the 350 turbo 400 turbo and the
700R4will fit the 250 or 292. I hope this helps.
If you want to stay like period with your truck then the 261 is what you
want however they are hard to find they where used in most 2 ton and
bigger they were used hard and used up this is why they are hard to find.
The 261 was built up to 1962 in 63 they came out with the 230, 250 I am
not sure on how long the 250 and 292 where built but I do know they were
built up to the late 80's or early 90's
if you will go to Inliners International.com you can read all about the
inline 6 cylinder Chevy engines

Robert Baird
IL Inl #5340