Re: [Oletrucks] 84 Silverado

To: James Hays <thomasind@nventure.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 84 Silverado
From: "mark@noakes.com" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:31:09 -0400
I still run a 86 Silverado 1/2 ton short bed that I've had since
new...it is my "new" truck.

The 305 V8 was the main engine for those so you might want to make sure
that it is a 350. Some were available with the 700R4 OD trans (mostly
Suburbans) but normal was the turbo 350...mine with a lockup torque
converter...which trans will affect the mileage a lot. The early 700R4s
were not good for pulling a trailer. These were all Quadrajet carb
engines...didn't swap to throttle body till 87 and full EFI till after that.

When it was new and when the interstate speed limits were 55mph, it
could get 21mpg with the cruise control on 55mph and about 15mpg max
around town.

It now gets about 11-13mpg no matter what I do...I wouldn't expect too
much more than that out of one of these...when they are worn the gas
mileage is much worse than when they were new. Mine isn't too worn...it
"only" has 290K miles on it.

Not sure about pulling a boat. I've trailered small cars ok with mine. I
would depend on the size of the boat and the condition of the
engine/trans on the truck.

There is a yahoo group for these trucks:

73-87ChevyTrucks

Mark N
58 Chevy Carrryall Suburban
58 GMC NAPCO
86 Chevy Silverado
plus a bunch of other vehicles...

James Hays wrote:
> 1984 should have O.D. trans and think E.F.I.( maybe not would be less
> 2~3 miles ) - not in bad shape should get 16 ~17 on the Hyway & 11~12
> in town - my 94 Sub 5 years ago got close to that with 4X4 & 150,000
> miles the last time checked before trading off @ 184,000.
>
> Jim
> 55-1st P U
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Cooper" <cooptnt@att.net>