Re: [Oletrucks] Swapping out rear end on '52 GMC 1/2 T

To: "Gale Gorman" <gale_gorman@mac.com>, "Bob Keeland"
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Swapping out rear end on '52 GMC 1/2 T
From: "James Hays" <thomasind@nventure.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:14:45 -0700
I have a 55-1st pu that I installed a GM 12 bolt from a 75 1/2 ton pu -
little stouter than the 10 bolt thinking I may pull my 18 ft boat some day
if I ever get the pu on the road.

Went well - had posi installed while re-bearing it ( V8 ) - measured old
axle housing for spring width for new spring / axle brackets . Replaced my
springs ( one broken ) and all pivot points. Locals wanted close to $300 for
a new drive shaft / balanced / u-joints. I got a perfect ( Ford Explorer I
think ) shaft the correct length from a wrecking yard ( was told to push the
front u-joint all the way into the transmission - measure between the
u-joint yoke centerlines - subtract 3/4 " & thats the driveshaft length at
its yoke centerlines ( normal weight on the truck suspension ) - had new
u-joints installed to match my truck for $125 including driveline. Best to
take in the driveshaft, front yoke & measured the rear yoke as close as
possible for u-joint match ( knowing year / model helps but some times more
than one size )

Hope might help,
Jim