Re: [Oletrucks] Overheating 350 in my '58 Apache

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Overheating 350 in my '58 Apache
From: "jay" <ajt@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:18:07 -0500
Smokey,
Every car/truck out there traps engine compartment to a degree! (no pun)
Hood shape has nuttin to do with your case!

Lets check a few things...

Electric fan turning correct direction?
Thermostat OK?
There was a GM SBC pump that flowed water backwards.
Air flow restricted?
Kinked/pinched rad hose?
Rad cap not holding pressure?
Compression test each cylinder, checking for blown head gasket.

Before you put the electric fan on and everything was OK except overheating
were you running a fan shroud? If you weren't that could
be the whole problem. Do you run a shroud now? You must get 100% air draft
through the radiator,,, no gaps, no dead areas.  I will
admit some vehicles run fine without a shroud,,, but YOU might wanna be sure on
your vehicle

Last thing to check if everything passes inspection.
Pull the little threaded plugs on the side of the block and see if the water
jacket is full of crap/dust/rust/mud/. Sometimes if the
block is full of crap the water cant move around as a coolant. I have taken a
threaded coupling and blown air into the block
agitating the mud and was able to clean some out reducing the operating temp.

Coolant wont matter for this situation... pure water shouldn't heat that much
for a stock engine.

How long has it been doing the heating up problems? If it started after
installing heads, I bet I know whats wrong.

Jay
East Texas

"When  In Doubt, Empty The Magazine"

http://stores.ebay.com/World-of-JCT?refid=store
 NEW Forum-> http://www.jctworld.us/forum/
1/87 model trucks-come join-> Subscribe: