Re: FW: Electrical ducting

To: "Burstein, Wayne M." <BURSTEIN@genicom.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Electrical ducting
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:50:53 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Burstein, Wayne M. wrote:

> I just finished the electrical wiring in my garage and am now
> running copper air lines.  If I had to do it again, I would run
> the air first and bend the conduit around the copper pipe.
> I am now using elbows to "jump" the conduit -- this is
> definitely more expensive and difficult.  Of course, it is
> easier to run the air lines once you have lights ;-)

If you are going to cover all this when it is done (i.e. if you are going
to cover the pipes with sheetrock, so you can tolerate having the setup
being a bit messy, try bending the copper pipe around the electrical
conduit.  Heat the pipe with a propane torch, and it will bend fairly
easily, albeit not around a tight radius.  Come to that, you might well
be able to bend cold copper pipe with an electrical conduit bender.  Never
tried that.  I don't know why plumbers insist on all those fittings; it
must be for pretty.  You can bend copper pipe.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910