Re: Solvents for parts washer

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Solvents for parts washer
From: "Simon Young & Heidi Millton-Young" <Mothra@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 08:43:59 +1000

> Now I have another question...
> Looking for a solvent to use with the  parts washer. I've been using
> Simple green, but it can't really do much with the really thick
> grease.
>
> Is there a solvent that will cut grease well and is also kind to the
> paint
> in the parts washer?

        Sorry Brian but there seems to be no ideal solvent.  Anything that will
leave the paint alone will suck as a cleaner.
        FWIW I've found the best compromise to be plain mineral spirit (kero
?).
The environmental friendly options work but nothing like the harsher "bad"
stuff and the stuff that works great (toluene, xylene etc) are just plain
too dangerous to use in a parts washer.
        As an aside, one very experienced workmate insisted on dumping a quart
of
auto trans fluid in the parts washer with the fresh solvent.  The fresh
mineral spirit will dry your hands pretty quickly and he claims the ATF
helps keep the hands moistened, me, I like gloves.

        Simon
        Caufield, Vic
        Australia