cheap air tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cheap air tools
From: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com (James Babcock)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
I sent this message earlier, but I think that someone on the list
probably got it...sorry.

I'm wondering about people's experience with cheap air tools.  I'm thinking
of buying either a cutoff tool or an air ratchet.  I see several makes
of these tools in Harbour Freight and Northern Hydraulics catalogs.
I've noticed that some list members have these types of tools,
so I'm askin' for advice.

Does the cutoff tool have a tendancy to stall?  I would be using this
tool mostly to cut exhaust parts.

I don't expect to use the air ratchet for heavy torque loads (I already
have an IR impact gun), but I think that it would be useful for removing
things like spark plugs in tight quarters.  I've also considered a
'sidewinder' manual ratchet (with a handle that turns on the axis of
the ratchet handle) instead of the air ratchet.  Does anyone
own one of these?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim
--