Re: leakdown tester

To: "Michael Tanner" <Firesmith@voyager.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: leakdown tester
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 23:44:10 -0500
Hey!   We're a little past that!   We don't want to just compare
cylinders and listen to apertures for wind.  We'd like to learn
something about engine condition.  We want the reading to mean
something, not just serve as a meaningless figure for comparison.
The need for _some_ degree of accuracy was pretty well demonstrated
to me when I was trying to match my home made tester's leak
percentage figure to that of a "real" "Auto Test Inc." tester:  An
orifice size of .040" gave 12% leak, an orifice of .046 gave 20% leak
and the final choice .043 gave a percent near identical  to the
"real" tester: 16%.  All these figures were obtained on the same dry
cylinder with the same regulated air supply and plug adapter; then,
they were repeated as a control.   Don't you think it's worth a
little effort to get in the ballpark of the accuracy of a "real"
tester?