RE: The things we do for lifts

To: "'Matt Wehland'" <mwehland@webtripper.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: The things we do for lifts
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:32:53 -0700
> My dad's been looking at lifts for awhile, and at carlisle this year (Ford
> Nats) there were a couple of lift vendors, and they had some pictures of
> installs.  The best one was a guy raised a section of his garage roof a
> foot
> or two in the area needed for the lift, finish drywalled everything, added
> neon lights and automotive prints, and it really looked classy.  there
> were
> also dormers, fully raised roof, all sorts of ideas.

        kk>>Darn -- I thought of the dormer on my own.  I didn't realize
someone else had beaten me to it.

> The couple of vendors that I've seen haven't had any kind of stops, just
> run
> it until your close to the roof.
> I've thought that a real quick and dirty way is a moveable switch on one
> the
> posts, connected to a power interupt.

        kk>>Rotary lifts have a horizontal rubber covered tube which pivots
on one end and is connected to a cutoff switch at the other.  Of course this
won't save the windshield on your convertible, and if something (like an
antenna) sticks up higher than the center of the car does, it'll hit the
ceiling before the roof of the car hits the cutoff switch.