Re: shop lift recommendations?

To: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Subject: Re: shop lift recommendations?
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:36:52 -0500
I bought an Eagle 4-post lift in '95; I think Eagle is actually a
reseller for Cytech.  When I needed some parts under warranty, I ended
up talking to Cytech people.

I use the lift more for storage than for repairs, so I decided on the
4-post for that reason.  I also like the stability and the portability.
I bought wheels for mine, so I can move it around in the garage and take
it outside if necessary.  The enclosed pillars keep the dirt away from
you, and them, except for sandblast media.  I got a lot of that into the
channels which are typically greased, and had no way to get it out.
Makes for some interesting creaks and groans as it goes up and down.

The width problems some have reported on are easily addressed with 2x
lumber.  There is a lip on the inside of the ramps, on which the
optional jack bridge rides, that will support 2x lumber across, making
strong supports for 2x6 or 2x8 (etc) planks to run lengthwise.  I work
on a lot of LBC's on this, from Sprites on up.  The planks give a good
margin for error, and once the car is on, they can be removed for easy
access.

I chose to make my own jack bridge.  Cost too much for what I can weld
up from some scrap steel.