RE: Batt. cutoff switch

To: LBC286@aol.com, "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@phase.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: RE: Batt. cutoff switch
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:18:16 -0800
I respectfully disagree.  Since there is most likely another connection to
ground from the charging system (bolt through the alternator, various
straps, etc.) having the cut off on either side (or even having two cutoffs
that would totally disconnect the battery) will not prevent the car from
continuing to run.

I believe that there is no great reason to put the switch on one side or
another, if its mission is to prevent a circuit being made while you are
working on the vehicle - like via a wrench on a hot terminal.

One reason to put it on the chassis side is that it is easier to put it
there - while you are removing the lead from the battery you won't be in
danger of shorting the lead to the chassis, as it would already be attached.
If you were removing the (+) lead on a negative ground car and had the
wrench hit the body you would need to go out and buy a new wrench.  And we
don't want to go back to that craftsman/snap-on/husky thread again now, do
we?

Mark Miller
Alameda, CA