Randall Young wrote:
> I'm more inclined towards lanterns and candles for light. Yes, these
> also emit CO, but relatively small amounts, and I would only use them
> for a few hours a day, not while asleep. Your fireplace box sounds like
> a good idea.
> If you're really worried about extended periods without electricity, you
> might look into a generator set (lots of them on sale, since Y2K turned
> out to be safe).
I decided against the generator since I have very reliable electrical
service. If I bought a generator a couple of years ago, for example,
it would still be in the box unused. But I've lost power for as much
as two days. And I'm totally dependent on electricity.
The gas has never failed, but the furnace doesn't work without
electricity. Doh! And now that I'm totally dependent, my reliable
source of electricity announces that due to circumstances beyond their
control, I can be cut off without notice. Time to explore the low
Thanks for your help!