RE: Pressured or not ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pressured or not ?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:47:42 -0700
Mike :

I believe the 25 psi business is some OSHA-related requirement (same as the
one for air guns).  Just keep the various parts of your body away from the
drain opening, and you should be just fine bleeding 175 psi.

The auto-drain is not especially efficient (although much better than
nothing), so it may leave a fair amount of water in the tank at any one
time.  Since water accelerates the internal corrosion that can eventually
kill tanks, it's better to be sure it's dry when leaving it for any length
of time.  I've got my drain valve rigged with a ball valve, and a lever
positioned such that I can operate it with my foot.  It only takes a second
to open the valve, wait until there's no appreciable amount of water coming
out, and close the valve.  The pipe before the valve also acts as a catch
basin, so if there's a few cc of water left in the tank, it will corrode a
replaceable length of pipe.

An unpressurized tank is always safer than a pressurized one, yet IMO the
danger is not enough to worry about unless you routinely sleep next to it.
If the danger of a tank explosion worries you, build a box for it, or better
yet, a box outside !

I'll take your airless compressor, if you live near LA ...

Randall

Mike Rambour wrote :

>  One of the things I noticed on the tank
> drain is it says never open it with more than 25psi in the tank.

> ?  Also, I got the auto tank drain with this compressor, why do I still
> have to drain the tank daily ? I would have thought the auto part
> did that
> for me.
>
>    Also, he says because it is 175psi, it is not safe to leave
> pressurized
> when not using it.  I can't believe that, it is ASME tank and I like my
> compressor pressurized so my daughter or wife can fill their bike tires
> without turning the thing on...
>
>    It is a much bigger and much more powerful compressor than I have ever
> had, so I thought I would ask.
>
>       mike
> p.s. Anyone want to buy a almost new Sear Airless 6hp compressor cheap ?

///