Re: A simple question about electricity......

To: <McVintage@aol.com>
Subject: Re: A simple question about electricity......
From: David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:11:03 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 McVintage@aol.com wrote:

:
:In a message dated 7/25/01 12:21:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
:randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:
:
:
:> The common serves a
:> different purpose than the ground (aka safety ground), and is also tied
:> back to the line transformer output.  In a nutshell, the common carries
:> current, while the safety ground should never carry current.
:>
:>
:
:then why are they both connected to the same bar in the breaker box ?
:(please don't think I'm being argumentive - I'm just really ignorant and would
:like to know)

The common ("neutral") and safety ground are tied together at exactly one
place.  This is usually either where the service enters the building, or in
the main panel.  It must not (per NEC, and the Canadian equivelnt) be done on
the load side of service equipment.  If neutral and ground are tied together
on the load side, neutral current can be returned on metal parts of
equipment, and on things like conduit.  This tends to create unbalanced
electromagnetic fields, which can interfere with sensitive electronic
devices. It also means there's a possibility of voltage on the case of
anything that has the case attached to ground.  That's a shock hazard.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.

///