One final word on Pete Groh from the guy who started it all

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net, autojumble@autox.team.net,
Subject: One final word on Pete Groh from the guy who started it all
From: StuCohen@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:10:06 EDT
Hi,

>From the feedback I've gotten from the people who have actually dealt with
Pete, he seems to be a pretty decent guy to do business with.  I'm just sorry
my experience wasn't as good.  I don't know what happened with my
transaction.  Maybe e-mail communication just isn't Pete's forte (I did try
phoning him a few times, but he was never in and didn't have an answering
machine), or maybe he's just having a rough summer and he's a little
distracted.  Either way, Pete seems to be the only person in the country who
provides a very valuable product and service, and so fills a very big void in
our hobby.  Personally I'm glad there's somebody out there who does what he
does.  If you do end up doing business with him one day though, my only
warning is just to make sure you both clearly know what you want and what
he's selling you.

In the end, I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into a similar
sitiuation, and maybe that would help solve my problem.  Unfortunately that
didn't happen.  I thought this WAS a forum for Triumph owners with concerns
or questions.  If it isn't, and I have a question about a product or vendor,
then what would you suggest is an appropriate forum?  I appreciate the
helpful comments, but most of what I got seemed to be people complaining I
should just be happy I have something that works and shut-up and stop
complaining...I'm sure there are a lot of "glass house" dwellers among you
who should be careful about the bricks you throw.  I guess the rest of you
can just sit there smugly knowing "your shit don't stink" (sorry for the
crudeness of that one...but it was the quickest way to make my point).

For some of us the end (a key that works) is equally as important as the
means (having done a certain way).  I'm sure a lot of people can understand
that.  Otherwise everyone would be going for the Earl Scheib $69.95 special
instead of the considerably more expensive bare metal respray...hey a paint
job is a paint job, right?  And the term "matching numbers" wouldn't
exist...it drives, doesn't it?  Who cares if the numbers match?  I think you
get my point.

This is a very varied hobby.  All of us have different things that are
important to us on our cars, and we hope the people we do business with can
appreciate that.  You wouldn't get into an argument with somebody at a car
show about them paying too much attention to their wheel rims when you're
equally obsessive about your headlights, would you?  Some of us are casual
about it all and some of us are meticulous.  I'm sure we can all appreciate
the casual ones.  They're the ones who spend their weekends doing something
more fun or relaxing than working on their cars.  We can also appreciate the
meticulous...yes maybe even "anal"...car owners.  They're the ones that make
our heads turn and jaws drop when we see them going down the street, and make
us wish we had THAT car.

If you can't interact with other people in your hobby without just throwing
around insults, maybe you have more important things to work on than a car.
So enough complaining about complaining and just understand that we all have
different priorities and try to help each other out when we can.

Stuart

///