Re: Sinking cottage

Subject: Re: Sinking cottage
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:24:16 -0700
There was a segment on Hometime (or one of those programs) a few years
back about having concrete pumped in below a slab (or part of a slab) to
correct such problems.  ISTR they showed an attached garage that was
'sinking' away from the house, which was cured with this process.  They
can apparently do differential pumping, to tilt it back into place.

Randall

"It sank into the swamp.  So, I built a second one.  That sank into the
swamp.  So I built a third one.  That burned, fell over, and sank into
the swamp." - Monty Python "Search for the Holy Grail"

Brian Kennedy wrote:

> My neighbor has a cottage on a slab that's been 'sinking' for the last 60
> years or so. The slab is broken and they've used scraps of wood to provide a
> 'level' floor which is now above the sill plates. The slab is now about 6"
> below grade and every thing is pretty well rotted. He can't afford to tear
> is all out and redo it properly. His latest thought is to dig out around the
> outside and just fill it in with cement to stabilize the mess. He's also
> thought about raising the wall a bit and replacing the sill plates with
> treated lumber.

///