Re: Results of powder-coating polished brass

To: sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Results of powder-coating polished brass
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:18:35 -0700
Lee :

I believe the 'lacquer' used on brass instruments was exactly that,
clear (actually very slightly yellow) lacquer.  I would think that
polyurethane would work better, but true lacquer should still be
available.  Check with someplace that specializes in fine woodworking,
or antique furniture restoration, or possibly even a musical instrument
store.  Seems to me I've even seen it in liquid form at Home Depot, next
to the Tung oil.  But, that may have been before the current concern
over VOC.

Randall

Lee Daniels wrote:

> Last week I asked about coating brass after polishing.  Not much in
> the way of replies, but I thought I'd try powder coating (clear).  It
> worked --- it's still fun to put such a hard, shiny coat on things
> without painting ---  but the polished brass darkened a bit during the
> baking process.  Not bad, but it's just a little darker than freshly
> polished brass.
>
> Growing up as a musician playing brass instruments, I remember taking
> care not to spoil the "lacquer" on the instruments.  Whatever it was,
> it lasted a very long time (I had one trumpet that was over 50 years
> old and still had a fine shine under the clear coating).  ANYBODY know
> what this was?  Can't get spray cans of clear lacquer at Wal-Mart
> anymore (they're all enamels of some sort); the auto paint suppliers
> here no longer sell any lacquers either - forced to only sell stuff
> with low VOC numbers.

///