Re: Compound miter saw size question

To: Noemi Berry Doudna <noemi@nebcom.com>
Subject: Re: Compound miter saw size question
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:29:58 -0400
After using my 10" non-sliding extensively in my most recent remodeling (major),
the only time the 10" was a limitation was in cutting wide boards.  The sliding
action would do much more to address that than would the 12" diameter.  And, 10"
blades are more readily available at sale prices from Sears and home stores.

Noemi Berry Doudna wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get a sliding compound miter saw, for a variety
> of projects (both real and imagined) -- anywhere from attempting
> window/door trim, cutting shelves, basic woodworking/furniture
> making, building a lumber rack, etc.  (I'm a complete amateur.)
>
> Here's my question: Is there any *dis*advantage to a 12" over a 10"
> compound miter saw?
>
> I know a 12" saw will make wider cuts than a 10" saw, and I believe
> it does everything a 10" saw does.  So is there any reason to consider
> a 10" saw at all?  (aside from the $50-$100 cost savings.)
>
> Ease of handling/manageability are good reasons, for instance,
> as I don't yet have the experience in handling power tools to
> make up for my lack of wrist strength and small hands.  (My
> husband will also use it, and this is less of an issue for him.)
> Though, I plan to mount the miter saw to a bench and keep it as a
> stationary tool, so perhaps manipulability isn't a great factor?
>
> Fortunately, in the woodworking workshop I took, a jigsaw (light)
> and router (two hands) were easy to handle.  We also used a sliding
> compound miter saw, a 12" I think -- not enough to discern clear
> pros/cons between a 10" and 12", but enough to see what a very
> useful item it will be.
>
> So....12" v. 10" ?
>
> thanks!
> noemi