RE: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?

To: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: RE: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:26:43 -0800
Oops, I just re-read this.  A 30 amp 240v circuit has two 30 amp breakers
ganged together, not two 15 amp breakers.

When operating a 240v load, all of the current flows through both breakers
(and both hot wires), thus both have to be rated for the full current.  The
neutral carries no current, unless there is a 120v load involved.

Randall

> > Every 240 circuit I've seen has two 120 volt breakers ganged (connected)
> > together (i.e. a 30 amp 240 circuit has 2 15 amp 120 breakers) -
> > one breaker
> > for each (120 volt) leg of the 240 volts circuit.
>
> As required by code.

///