Re: Plumbing question #1

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Plumbing question #1
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:15:56 -0800
The lead-free solder used for plumbing these days takes a special flux
(or at least works better with it), and still does not 'wick' into
joints as easily as the old tin/lead stuff.  It may not be exactly
kosher, but I've found that it helps to tin the inside of the female
fitting (the valve in this case) before inserting the freshly cleaned
and fluxed pipe.  Although not visible to the naked eye, copper will
form a thin layer of oxide in just a few minutes, so it's important to
clean the surfaces with either abrasive or a steel brush (Home Depot
sells a special brush with both inside and outside surfaces for this
purpose) just before soldering the joint.

Randall

LBC286@aol.com wrote:

> I picked up new ball valve shut offs for under the sink.  Cast brass fittings
> for 1/2" pipe.  We can't get the solder to flow into the joints.  Can anyone
> 'splain what we may be doing wrong?  I know how to do electronic soldering,
> and it looks to me like it isn't getting hot enough, although the solder
> melts easily on the metal.  Cleaned all the fittings and used plenty of flux.

///