lighting configuration for workshop

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: lighting configuration for workshop
From: Jan Goethals <janealpg@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:10:30 -0500
I am preparing to install lights in my workshop. I have a 30'x40' steel
frame, metal building with concrete floor, 2 10'x10' garage type doors
at each end (do not roll up, but slide up on rails like a typical car
garage door) and 4 widows measuring 3'x5'.  The height at the apex is
14'.  There is a 200 amp breaker box.

I would like overhead fixtures to flood the whole area with light, and
these should light up quickly (not slow like florescent lights). Other
lights will be placed  lower over various work areas.  I will be doing
wood work, machine work, welding, auto mechanics, just about everything.

What sort of configuration would this group recommend and what type of
lighting?  Should I be able to raise and lower the fixtures on some sort
of pulley system? What about affixing some lights to the walls?

Thank you,
Jan