Re: Welding question

To: Bob Chansler <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Welding question
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:31:07 -0700
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:15:37AM -0600, Bob Chansler wrote:

> I did some repair work on my old '49 Chevy suburban this weekend and was
> quite frustrated by my welding skills. I was replacing the drivers side
> floor with a repo panel. I punched a lot of 3/16 in  holes to plug weld the

[sucky welds]

> I started with the floor panel for practice since it doesnt have to be as
> "pretty" as the rest of the vehicle. I have a lot of patches to go so I
> need to get the technique down.

It sure sucks when you take off the clamps and the part
you just "welded" on falls off, doesn't it?
I know that feeling well.

> Any suggestions?

Practice!  Lots of it.
Buy some similar material and go to town on it.
Do it in smallish pieces so you can try pulling them apart.

It sounds like you might not have the current set high enough, or
are removing the wire from the weld too fast.  I've also got an SP100
and tend to do both of those, which leads to welds that
don't do anything.

The other possible problem is where you are grounding the metal.
If you're grounding the part in front that you're trying to weld through
and there isn't a really good electrical connection between
the front part and the back part, you will tend to weld just
to the front part.

Eric