Re: old style propane tanks

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: old style propane tanks
From: "Daniel Schoenherr" <dankatmo@showme.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:41:11 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Welty" <rwelty@suespammers.org>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 6:41 AM
Subject: old style propane tanks

> what are folks doing with old style propane tanks?
>
> we have one new one, and one old one, and need to get to two new ones
> before our upcoming alfa romeo picnic on sunday. my wife is concerned
> about having a permanently useless old style propane tank stuck in our
> garage for the duration. any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
>   richard
> --
> Richard Welty
> rwelty@suespammers.org                                 Averill Park
Networking
> rwelty@averillpark.net           Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering,
Security
> rwelty@krusty-motorsports.com
518-573-7592

I've been a reader for a while now and have really enjoyed the ideas.  I had
the same problem a while ago.  Didn't want to pitch a perfectly good tank.
Found that I could buy a new OPD valve at my propane supplier for approx.
$18.  Others had told me that these valves were very hard to remove.  Braced
the tank with a bar thru the handle hole.  Making sure the tank is empty.
Used my air hammer/chissel with the hammer attachment  and applied force
near the end of the hose connection.  This amount of force just walked the
old valve right out.  Since the old valve is scrap anyway it doesn't matter
if you deform it.  I had one that was very tight and another that wasn't
bad.

Dan Schoenherr, retired --67 Buick Electra 225, Wildcat convertable (project
car),  71 Ply Sattelite Sebring