Re: General building question

To: pethier@isd.net, conrad@conrad.uk.net, Tim.Mullen@trw.com, gpd4@juno.com,
Subject: Re: General building question
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:42:10 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/02 6:53:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, pethier@isd.net
writes:

> > You mean an up and over type thing? Errrm, good question. Mainly because
> > it needs to be high enough to get the jcb in, and then it would hit a
> > car on the lift,
>
> If your shop is that high, the door can go straight up.  It is not written
> that the door must curve over at the top of the opening, or at all.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I'd be careful with a garage door that is vertical when open.  The springs
reduce tension as the door opens because it usually will be horizontal and be
at rest on the rails.  Therefore it requires little spring tension to hold it
in place in a normal installation.  Gravity will be pulling the door straight
down if the rails go straight up.

You might be able to rig a counter-weight that will go down as the door goes
up, and if everything is in balance, it should work well.  I would also
install a latch to hold the door in the open position in case of
counterweight failure.

Garage doors are heavy!  Don't risk having one come down at the wrong time.

BTW, if you are in Australia, gravity works in the opposite direction, so you
will need to use the counter-weight to hold the door closed.  (I'm pretty
sure that's how it works down under.)  :-)

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget
'75 MG Midget (The Project)