Re: Rust proofing applicators -- Eastwood #16003 no LBC content

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rust proofing applicators -- Eastwood #16003 no LBC content
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:13:09 -0400
At 09:24 PM 5/12/03 -0400, Don Malling wrote:

>Has anyone used Eastwood's Rust Proofing Undercoating System #16003
>
>Item No. - 16003
>System includes 30" flexible wand, 20" rigid wand, 5" closed quarters
>wand, plastic bottle, pressure head and gun assembly, 45 deg. reverse
>spray tip, 90 deg. directional spray tip, and a blast tip. Use at 90-120
>psi, uses app 5-6 cfm at maximum pressure. Use with Heavy-Duty Anti Rust
>and Rubberized Undercoating shown on next page.

Don,

That sounds very much like the one I purchased years ago from JC Whitney.

To answer your questions:

>1. Can it be used with materials of varying viscosities
>(lighter/thinner) such as motor oil or Waxoyl?

  Yes it can.  I don't know how thick waxoyl is, but you can definately go
  to something thinner.  I was using it to paint POR15 on the inside of a
  chassis.

>2. Any way to modify the flexible wand to make it longer than 30"?

  No.  I tried to make a new longer hard hose.  But this stupid gun is
  a syphon NOT a pressure feed, so if you extend the hose length, you will
  loose all the momentum in the air and won't suck up much paint.

>3. Any better alternatives?

  Not that I can think of.  If you can use the 30" wand you're all set.
  I ended up drilling some access holes in the chassis to try and get
  the shorter hoses in.  Didn't have much success with that.  I finally
  ended up pouring POR15 into the chassis and using an old sock tied to
  the end of the longer wand and swabbing it down.  Don't know how much
  paint I got in there tough.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org