more Craftsman jack problems

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: more Craftsman jack problems
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:42:12 -0700
it's me again

I've still got a craftsman 3-1/2 ton floor jack... model 214.50135...probably
6 years old

I still won't lift to full height...    With Matts help I found the fill port,
craftily hidden by the maker.  Of course it looks just like a fill port when
you clean all the crud off !

The cylinder was full... so low oil wasn't the problem.   It gets to about 3/4
height then just stops raising...  I can feel a full head of oil as it raises
but as it approaches 3/4  about 3/4 of the stroke has no pressure behind it.
only the last 1/4 of the stroke has any affect on the cylinder raising.
Should I check the oil with the jack down or up ???   Seems like down is the
right way..if you filled it with the ram all the way out, where would the oil
go when it retracted ???

need some hydraulic gurus advice please ???

thanks..

john