Re: Tool Question

To: shiples@comcast.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool Question
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:09:23 -0400
I can't say about the edelbroks, but I *really* like my mac wrenches, at
least compared to snap-on.  don't get me wrong, the macs do have squared
handles for that occasional palm dent, but the snap-on oex wrenches seemed
to have the thin rounded blade profile for that occasional palm
dismemberment.  I think in that respect it comes down to personal
preference.  but as far as finish, the macs are superb, best I've seen
yet.  I have a set of matcos and a set of snap-ons--the matcos had chips
when I got them new and will chip easier.  frequent replacement has put me
on a "I don't need to identify my voice on the phone" basis with the matco
guy.  *and* the new matcos have funky stamping marks.  the snap-on open end
tips seem to go pretty easy, too.  I have not yet been able to mess up the
macs, such that I actually let my four year-old play with them when he's
helping daddy.  but, yeah, the mac stuff is *steep*.  pawn shops, or follow
the truck around and look for a guy wanting to trade up for a new set, or
that just bought some new snap-ons, or just had the matco guy talk him into
a matco set, etc. (it happens).  still prefer the snap-on sockets,
though.  and facom ratchets, and...

but I noticed the craftsman thing, too.  every year their new stuff seems
to get crappier, and crappier.  but really old stuff seems to be nice.  but
we've covered this thread a ton already.  if the archives work, search them
on this topic.

scott