Re: Car/Tar question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car/Tar question
From: Shannah Miller <shannah@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:49:39 -0700
Mitchell, Doug (D.B.) wrote:

> Anyway, my wife and I worked on my truck for about 4 hours
> with 1. Simple Green (no go), 2. Fantistik/409 (no go)
> 3. Orange cleaner, uncut. leave it on for 30 seconds and
> then wipe it off. worked great. Had estimates of >$500
> for professional cleaning. Got a check from the road paver's
> insurance for $400.

Orange cleaner seems like it would both work great
and be gentle on the paint.

Paradoxically, one cleaner that I would strongly urge
you *not* to use is the special "Bug and Tar Remover"
that is made, I believe, by Turtle Wax.

For one little tar spot, or a few isolated bugs, it's
fine.  However, if you leave it on very long, it will
soften your paint.

On the rare occasions I've used it, I wash the car,
use it, wash again, then wax.

For cleaning large areas of tar, I think it would be
more harm to the paint than it's worth.

Shannah