Re: Question about cleaning engines?

To: Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about cleaning engines?
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:36:16 -0700
At 03:29 PM 9/6/2003 -0400, Ray Bahr wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Does anyone have any first hand experience with running a quart of ATF
>with engine oil to help clean some crud out of the engine - or is that an
>urban legend? Is there something else that might be better?
I have no first hand experience.  But I will pass on something I heard at a
Jaguar Club meeting.

I was stated that leaking gaskets and seals can be repaired by mixing
lacquer thinner with engine oil.
I don't know the quantities or the process involved, but it follows along
with the other reports.  There's
obviously a lot of chemistry going on as an engine ages and I can't imagine
what sort of stuff has
been dumped into an engine.  I'm not real eager to try any of them but odds
are there's been an
occasional winner along with the losers.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA