Re: two ton engine crane

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: two ton engine crane
From: doug shook <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:20:28 -0700
> I had the same thing happen.  I bought the crane for around $80, I don't
> remember the exact amount. I suggested to them that couldn't be right.
> The crew 'huddled' and told me they were right, I was wrong.  No amount
> of protestations by me would change their minds. So I accommodated them,
> and bought the crane. I found out later, from a friend, that Kragen has
> priced each box (the crane comes in two boxes) separately, go figure.
>
> Thank you Kragen (AKA Checker and Shucks).
>
> By the way, neither of the boxes individually would do you any good.
> You must have both to have a complete crane.
>
> Larry Hoy

Larry,

You are exactly right.  This crane came in three
boxes (so says the crew at Kragen, but they were a
clueless bunch, I have to say). They could only
find two boxes in the back room, so they took the
hydraulic cylinder out of one of the boxes in the
back room and swapped it with the one on the
display model because the release valve knob was
missing.

At the time when I looked at the display model, I
noticed that it had three different $83 price
stickers on it ($249), so what you are saying
makes perfect sense.

But even at $129, it is a great buy. The legs come
off and it all stores into a reasonably compact
shape (about 30" by 20" floor space) that can be
pushed up against the wall when not in use.
Otherwise, it is a huge monster that would consume
a parking spot in the garage.

It is made by PowerBuilt:

http://www.powerbuilttools.com/
Model No: 647531

I looked at the current Harbor Freight catalog,
and the same exact crane is shown as a Central
Hydraulic #07620-1CTA for $239.99 (page 27 of
catalog 465-K), 290 lbs, 8 ton ram jack, max lift
of 117", etc. It is a solid piece of iron.

If you have thought about buying a shop crane,
this is a good time. I couldn't turn it down.

best,

old dirtbeard

los angeles

'72 BSA B50SS