compressor motor starting problems

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: compressor motor starting problems
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:58:30 -0400
Hello All,

Bought a new compressor for my shop at the cottage.  The compressor in
question is a good quality unit with belt driven oiled compressor.  The 5hp
peak motor is rated at 15A@115V, 7.5A@220 volt (Really a 1 1/2 hp
motor?).  I am having problems starting it on my Solar-electric power
system.  I am wondering what can I do in the meantime in order to make it
start easier.

The inverter is a 3000 watt unit rated for 6000 surge watts.  When the
compressor is started it pulls the battery voltage down to 10.5V@300Amps
for a second or 2.  After it has started it pulls 160A@12.0V.  Sometimes
the inverter will not start the unit.  Upgrading all the battery/inverter
connections for minimal voltage drop has helped somewhat.  I will replace
my batteries next year, but would like to make the motor start easier in
the meantime (and for later too).

The motor has a start capacitor of 136-163 MFD@220v and run of 50.0uf@370
V. and I am wondering if it will help increasing the start capacitor to one
in the 200-300 MFD range before I replace the batteries or decrease the
drive belt pulley diamater.

Thanks,
Steve Reilly