Wiring a 12V system in a trailer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiring a 12V system in a trailer
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:23:09 -0500
Mark,

the twelve volt stuff isn't hard.   I'd install a battery isolator in the
truck charging circuit (actually a big ol honkin heatsink with two diodes)
that prevent your trailer from draining your truck battery..  but allow
both to be charged when the truck is running.  Picture two diodes (of
sufficient current capacity) with their anodes (inputs) tied together
attached to the truck charging circuit (output of alternator) and the
output of each diode going the truck battery and the trailer battery bank
respectively.  Pay attention to the wire gauge of the wire feeding the
trailer and install one size larger for safety/voltage drop.  You'll
probably have to go with a 6 or seven pole trailer plug/socket depending on
your brake situation.    I'd also consider adding a 12 volt trickle charger
that is in the 120 volt circuit that would keep the batteries charges when
the trailer is idle for a long time.

The 120 volt side ....   go to a RV place and buy a trailer/rv receptacle
(male in an waterproof enclosure)  then make up a cord with the matching
female on one end and a 120 volt plug on the other... again pay attention
to wire gauge... I'd think #12 or #10 SO cord would be sufficient except
for very long runs (over 100 feet)  assuming you not running compressors or
air conditioners :-)   it should be fine for hand tools and such.

You can probably pick up the isolator at the RV place also... it very
common "camping addition".  I'm sure there are other solutions depending on
the 'simplicity' you're after..

john