Re: 120V from 250V 3 phase?

To: rs1121@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 120V from 250V 3 phase?
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:31:50 -0400 (EDT)
Be VERY careful following this advice.

Ground and neutral _are_ tied together at the service entrance, but
should never be tied together anywhere else.  Neutral is a current
carrying conductor and can be several volts above safety ground.  The
safety ground should never be a current carrying conductor -- it is
there to provide a safe return for any leakage, preventing that
leakage from going through a human being.

I don't know about five phases per generator -- I've only seen three
and six.  All three phases coming into your panel should be
well-regulated; if they are not, take it up with the power company.
They will be very interested, as they work very hard to keep all three
phases balanced.

The system Rod describes "110/110/200" (each measured to ground) is
known as a delta configuration.  The "110" (actually 120) volt legs
are available for lighting, office equipment and other single-phase
devices.  The third leg is actually a nominal 208 volts
(120*sqrt(3.0)) to ground.  Some installations use this voltage
exclusively for lighting, allowing the 120 to be used for all other
office-like equipment.  The motors and other three-phase equipment
will see 240 volts/3 phase.  (The nomenclature 110 is really false;
the voltage can vary from 110 to 120 and is usually held to 115 to
117.)  From each leg to each other (A-B, A-C, B-C) you will always
measure the nominal 240 volts, which is what makes is 240 volt/3
phase.  (No it's not 440 (or 480;) you'll never be able to get 440 out
of a 220 system without adding a transformer.

If you don't understand this much, get a real electrician to install
your equipment; rubber shoes won't be enough.  Look in the yellow
pages and "building" be damned.  Management says move Monday, you can
move Monday, but without an electrician, you don't have any equipment
to work with.  If you do it yourself and fry the equipment, you still
don't have any equipment to work with.

The receptacle you describe does not have provisions for a neutral;
all I see are three phases and a safety ground.  Without a dedicated
neutral conductor, you are SOL.

HTH,
Donald.