RE: Mouse Hunt

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Rush" <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: RE: Mouse Hunt
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:43:16 -0800
> My 850 is in temporary storage until I get a new motor. I stopped in
> where it is stored today and found shredded tissue and mouse droppings in
> the interior. Any ideas on how to deter Mr. Mouse from returning to do
> more destruction while I go about acquiring a motor?

I assume a cat is out of the question ...

Friend of mine swears by Irish Spring soap, but I've never tried it myself.

Another solution is the "ultimate mousetrap" : get a 5 gallon plastic
bucket, a can of soup, and a metal rod long enough to bridge the top of the
bucket.  Open (and use) the soup with a "church key", leaving a bridge of
metal across the center of the top.  Rinse the can, remove the label, and
punch holes in the center of the top & bottom big enough to pass the rod
through.  Also punch holes on the opposite sides of the top of the plastic
bucket.  Fill the bucket 1/3 with water, and butter the can with peanut
butter.  Push the rod through the bucket and can, so the can is suspended
and can spin, over the water.  Lay a board or cloth over the edge of the
bucket to the ground, so mice can climb it.

The mice are attracted by the scent of the peanut butter (which will last a
long time, they still like it rancid), so they climb to the top and jump to
the can.  But since the can spins freely, they can't jump away from it and
so fall into the water and drown.  If you're the humanitarian type, you can
omit the water, in which case the mice stay in the bucket (they usually
can't jump high enough, and the slick walls keep them from climbing) for
later humane release (or feed 'em to your pet snake, whatever).

Oddly enough, I've never had mice again since getting the cats, even though
the cats are not allowed in the garage (or outside).  Had a tree rat make
friends with the dog, but it didn't make it indoors before I saw the signs
and put out a trap for it.  Got the rat, too <g>

Randall