RE: Steering Fluid in Brake System

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering Fluid in Brake System
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:29:13 -0700
> Just got a call from a friend (really!!) who refilled her brake resevoir
> with steering fluid.   She said this happened about a month ago.. so the
> SF has been in for awhile.   Its a 2000 Dodge Caravan w/ 3.3 ltr. engine.

Bill, I don't know for certain that PS fluid will attack brake seals ... but
most petro-chemicals will.

Given the safety aspects of the situation, I know I would want to at least
replace the seals in the MC and front calipers (in addition to flushing the
system).  Don't know if you can buy just seals, most likely you'll have to
install rebuilt calipers & MC.  Being a cheap sort, I probably wouldn't do
the soft lines or rear seals ... but they probably should be replaced too.

Randall