RE: Online torque specifications

To: "Shoptalk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Online torque specifications
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:58:07 -0700
> I know this is a long shot but does anyone know of an online
> reference which may have the torque specifications for the
> stub-axel retaining nuts on a '81 Buick Skylark? I'm replacing
> the half shafts on my son's car and the bit of paper which
> came with the new shafts just says that the "usual torque values
> are between 170 and 190 ft. lbs." but I don't think they're
> refering specificaly to the Skylark. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know of an on-line source, but that number sounds familiar.  If you
want, I can check my service manual at home tonight (for 80-82 Chevy
Citation, but it's the same exact drivetrain as the 81 Skylark).

I hope the piece of paper also told you that it's critical NOT to use an
impact wrench on those nuts, even to take them off.  I learned the hard way
... it will ruin the wheel bearings.  They'll seem fine at first, but the
damage has been done and within 5K miles, they'll be toast.

Randall