McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:22:42 -0500
Just picked up a new pair of struts to replace the 150,000 mile (i.e.,
really shot) ones on my '94 Nissan Quest.  Replacement procedure is simple
enough: mark orientation, remove assembly, compress spring and replace
strut, then reinstall.

Replacement units are Gabriel gas-filled.  But I just happened to peek at
the short instruction sheet in the bottom of the box.  Pretty much the same
instructions as above, except that there's a step that says something like
"open up the strut and add 30cc of oil" , along with a drawing of a unit
with the top off and a beaker of oil being poured in. Huh?

BTW, this is only in *one* of the boxes. Did this come from something else?
Any thoughts?

thanks,
 Lee