Re: looking also for a (ahem, wood) router

To: scott.hall@comcast.net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: looking also for a (ahem, wood) router
From: "David C." <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:51:43 -0800
At 04:44 AM 1/15/2005 +0000, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
>so I need a router.  probably a table too, I guess.
>
>anyhow, the bro says get a plunge router while I'm at it, will be able to
>do more with it.  so I see the bosch, porter-cable and the dewalt.  all
>seem nifty.  surely someone has opinions.

I have four (or is it five?) routers....things like that just happen....  I
got them ALL in pawn shops.  I have two or three Sears 1/4" only models, a
1/4 - 1/2" Porter Cable and a "big" 1/2" Porter Cable that is used
permanently as a router table.  I leave one of the old Sears routers set up
with a dovetail bit for making drawers and dovetail joints, and the others
for utility work, laminate trimming, etc.  I have made a lot of dovetailed
drawers with the Sears 1/4" router and a home made dovetail joint jig made
from plans from a magazine, so it's not rocket science and you don't need
the absolute top of the line stuff to do it.

Horrible Freight makes a couple of dovetail jigs that uses the same design
as all of the other machines out there (except the high dollar models that
make variable "hand cut" type dovetails) that will probably work fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44036

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34102

I think I would try to find one of these machines on sale and then hit my
local pawn shops and pick up a decent 1/4" router and get busy.  You might
even find a dovetail machine at the pawn shop, too.  I would NOT use a big,
heavy 1/2" plunge router to cut dovetails.  You have to move the router
around a LOT following the guides, and you want a light (but solid) router
for doing this.  It doesn't take a whole lot of power, though.

If you are going to be doing a lot of woodworking in the future, by all
means also get a 1/2" plunge router by one of the big names; they are
especially good for router table use.

Another router tip:  make sure your router has a good chuck, and that the
chuck and router bit shanks are clean, smooth and don't have any burrs or
crap on them (glue, sap, oil, grease etc).   Having your bit walk up out of
the chuck during a run of drawers will really mess up your day.
Dave C