RE: Cordless Drill

To: "'shop Talk'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Cordless Drill
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:48:15 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> I have the milwaukee 18v combo kit.  I have issues with battery life but
> have been told repeatedly that my expectations are too high.  the drill
> will drill well, though, and now the kit includes a hammer drill, which
> I wanted but didn't come with the kit when I bought.
>
> I can say that the milwaukee flashlight in the kit is easily the best of
> the lot.  the dewalt's flexy head lost its flex on the brother-in-law's
> light in a month or two and even when it stayed, it never stayed just
> where you put it - it always sagged just enough to make it useless.
> then it tipped over because it was top-heavy.
>
> I can also highly recommend the sawzall hatchet and circular saw that
> come with it.
>
> so after doing the same thing you did I bought the milwaukee.  after
> using it, I would again.  they now make a impact wrench that uses the
> same battery.  I am just waiting for an excuse.
>
> in fact...why don't you buy my drill so I have an excuse to go buy the
> hammer drill.  I don't need it anymore, but everytime I walk past it in
> home depot I twitch.

I have the Milwaukee drill, light, and 1/2" impact.  I agree that the
light is really nice.  I've not used the others for real, just played with
them in the store, but I like the Milwaukee light for sure.

I started with the impact.  This thing is awesome.  The _only_ drawback is
the weight... The snap-on and some of the others are a little lighter.  I
autocross, so at the event wheel changes happen all the time.  The
milwaukee will remove and install several _sets_ of wheels on a charge,
plus you can get the 12v car charger.

I got the drill because I had the impact and wanted stuff to use the same
batteries.  Its a nice drill, but again the 18v makes it heavy.  I really
like the 'brake chuck' or whatever its called.  You just grab it and turn
to grip or release bits, no need to hold the bottom half of the chuck or
whatever.  Super fast/handy.

Prices at coastal tool on this stuff used to be pretty good.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/milw/milw.htm?L+coastest+rhsz7458ff61e661+1106087614#cord

(or http://www.coastaltool.com for the main page)

They have all the goodies.

Mark