Re: Telephone wiring

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Telephone wiring
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:29:23 -0800
>  > I just finished preparing my collection of telephone wiring in my
>  > house for the arrival of DSL.  In the process, I neatened up some
>  > junctions by using the punch down style of terminal block like in
>  > telephone equipment cabinets.  My design took longer than the
>  > construction because I wanted to make sure that someone following
>  > this other than me would logically figure out what I did.
>  >
>  > It would have been easier if I knew more about the proper conventions
>  > for such work.  Can someone enlighten me or point me to a resource
>  > that describes how it should be done?

In our remodel I put a bunch of 2+2 in (2 4-pair Cat5E + 2 RG6 coax) and
pulled it all back to a bunch of cabinets (2 42in and 1 24in) in the
attic.  I used OnQ cabinets but parts for them aren't as common as some
others, you can get Leviton at Home Depot now.

One of the 42in cabinets gets the Cat5E for phone and network and etc,
the other gets the video cabling (and a single 42in cabinet is hardly
enough to terminate ~45 RG6 coax plus a DSS multiswitch, etc etc, a lot
of the unused coax has ended up bundled up on top of the cabinet), the
24in cabinet gets all the infrared wiring (various receivers and
emitters in the living spaces for stereo and etc. control + a $.09
Mouser IR LEDs up in each of the Velux electric skylights so we can run
any skylight from anywhere.)

I brought all the Cat5E into its cabinet and terminated them on the OnQ
8xRJ45 termination panels.  I did all our wiring according to the T568B
color-codes.  The phone/DSL demarc box is in the garage, patch cord to
an RJ45 jack in the wall that goes back to the cabinet, made a patch
cord from the jack in the cabinet that splits the phone pair from the
DSL pair.

Phone pair goes to an OnQ 5-port phone-distribution block, patch cords
from that back to the RJ45s that are wired out to where we want to put
phones.  Eventually I'll have a more elaborate phone setup.

DSL pair to DSL modem, patch cord from there back out through one of the
house Cat5Es to my office, where the 'outside' hub and firewall and the
DMZ servers sit.  From the firewall back through another wire to the
panel, patch cord to the 8-port switch, the other ports then patched to
whichever jacks in the house I want hard-wired network on.

Sometime in the next couple weeks I'll finish configuring the Sveasoft
stuff on the new WRT54G and put it in the attic to replace both the old
P233-box firewall and the old base station, cutting the noise/heat/power
consumption in the office and simplifying the cabling a bit.

John.