Re: pumping oil

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: pumping oil
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:41:49 -0500
At 14:23 21/01/05 -0500, you wrote:

>Any ideas on gadgets for refilling gearboxes, differentials, etc. with oil?

Eric,

Nick Brearley replied with a url that had timed out so I couldn't see his
idea.

>I'm fairly pleased with the oil pump seen here
>
>http://uucurl.com/x.jsp?p=645

<snip>
>The only snag is that it's virtually impossible to purge the delivery hose
>of hypoid gear
>oil, short of cutting it and blowing it out.

I've had a simple "suction gun" like the one sold by Advance Auto:
Powerbuilt Tools 648756,
website for online shopping: www.partsamerica.com, search for the above.

This works for getting old oil out and I've found that it also works for
getting new oil in.  However, Nick's comment about cleaning gear oil out of
the hose is equally true for this device.

Enjoy,

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - long term restoration project
1965 Ford Falcon - hopefully short term repair job to be restored as my
daily driver