RE: Lug nuts

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lug nuts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 05:02:01 -0700
> Smashing an old socket onto the antitheft lug was enough to do the job.
> Down a well wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

Sure it would, if the socket wouldn't fit into the well or over the lug nut.  At
the very least, your method would have ruined the trim (on the wheel you were
trying to steal) and made it a real hassle to extract the socket once the lug
was off the threads.  Not to mention attracting attention ... even asleep I
could hardly fail to notice someone pounding that hard outside my bedroom
window.

Most house and car locks wouldn't stand up to a sledgehammer either, but that
doesn't mean I'm going to leave them unlocked.  And yes, that means I have to
keep track of my keys and have extra hassle if I lose or break the only key.

No doubt I could move farther away from the city and have less concern over
things being stolen ... but that sounds like a lot more hassle to me than
installing a few stupid wheel locks !  And from what I hear, there are kids like
Nolan everywhere these days.

Randall