Re: Building a deck

To: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Building a deck
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:29:47 +0100
At 20:49 14/07/05 -0700, Wayne wrote:

>2. Are any of the new fangled non-wood materials any good? I've grown
>tired of using cedar and other wood for fences, decks etc here in the
>pacific north wet. Invariably in this environment these wood structures
>get mold, rot etc from the wet climate, and in my case a heavily treed
>property (little sun). Yeah, I know, I can coat it with this, coat it with
>that, to help improve longevity, but my patience has grown thin with that
>process. The deck on this house rotted thru in only 18 years.

I've heard good reports of this stuff

http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=070707a.xml

No personal experience, from another country.

Some plastic products suffer from considerable thermal expansion, whether
the composite construction will reduce that I don't know. Something to
check. Durability should be good but 18 years down the line who knows?

Nick Brearley