Re: Lead battery adapters

To: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Subject: Re: Lead battery adapters
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:17:33 +0000

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 01:42 03/11/05 -0500, Wayne wrote:

>Anyone know of adapters to allow a small battery (eg:  lawn tractor,
>motorcycle) with the flat connectors to connect to a standard round
>automotive cable?

They are, or were, available off the shelf. I've got a set kicking around
from six or seven years ago.

>Been thinking I could just try casting some lead parts, since that's
>what the terminals all see to be.  But if there's an off-the-shelf
>source, that would be better!

Why not cut the posts off a dead battery? Drill and tap the bases, coarse
thread, then screw onto the flat posts. Or you might find that using a
longer bolt on the clamp connector will enable you to bolt the clamp onto
the flat post through hole in the post.

Nick Brearley