Re: How do I stop this madness?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: How do I stop this madness?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:43:28 -0500
On 12/7/05, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2005, at 10:46 PM, David C. wrote:
>

> > At 06:44 PM 12/7/2005 -0800, Wayne Farrington wrote:
> >> I've begun receiving email directly to my inbox this week from shop
> >> talk list participants for some reason. I enjoy reading the list but
> >> really don't want these emails going to my inbox (unless somebody is
> >> replying to a question I posted on the list of course).
> >

> > Me, too.  I have a Eudora filter set to send all the Shop Talk stuff
> > to it's own folder, but lately some stuff is showing up in the In box.
>
> I think it may be related to the "reply-to-sender" setting. Many times
> I'll receive two addresses in the To: field- one to "shop-talk" and the
> other to the person the mail is answering. I.e. Bill posts a question,
> Mike responds but the software puts Bill in the To: field, so Mike adds
> shop-talk instead of replacing Bill with shop-talk. So Bill gets two
> copies- a list copy and a personal one. This is yet another (admittedly
> small) reason that all mailing lists should be set to "reply to group"
> not "reply to sender".

On the other hand, I think this a very good reason to have mailing
lists default to replying to the sender.  "Reply to group" or "reply
to all" or whatever it's called in a given mail reader means I get two
copies of a message when someone responds to message I've sent to a
list.  One ends up in INBOX, which means I see it, and deal with it,
or not, a lot faster than if it were in some mailing list specific
mailbox.  I subscribe to many lists, some of which I read once a month
or so, unless I'm involved on a particular thread.  If I don't get
CC'd on the responses, I don't see them for weeks, and people who are
asking me questions (or offering help) don't get a response for that
period of time.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com