RE: Thermometer on sale

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermometer on sale
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:53:17 -0500
> With all the parts baking discussion, I thought I'd mention a
> really neat toy, err.... tool on sale right now.
>
> Harbor Freight has an infrared thermometer on sale for just $40:
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91778
>
> I just got one last week to use with baking powder & ceramic
> coatings.  It's only rated up to 500dF, but it has a 4 digit
> display and appears to go much higher.  Pointing directly at
> a glowing oven element, it registered 1170dF!  You can
> measure all sorts of interesting stuff, like temps of you
> engine, manifold, exhaust, tires, etc.
>
> Highly Recommended!
>
>    -Wayne

Yep, very handy devices.  I've used mine frequently to show other MG owners
that there gauge is wrong and their motor is fine.  Also use it on track
days to measure tire temps to better air them.  Audi is track car, not
MG...yet.
In the last 4 years I figure I've gotten $45 of use as I paid $85
then...still on the original battery btw.  Glad to see the prices are coming
down.

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA